Each year, millions of Americans avoid going to the dentist due to some form of dental anxiety. It is imperative that individuals receive proper dental care, so individuals must learn how to get over or around their anxieties. Sedation dentistry is a helpful option for those with anxiety or a phobia of going to the dentist.
There are a few possible causes for individuals to develop dental anxiety. Some of the most common causes include:
• pain: A fear of pain is a strong driving force behind individuals avoiding the dentist.
• negative experiences: Bad past experiences can leave individuals scarred and afraid that they will have another negative experience if they go to the dentist again.
• lack of control: Having to sit still in the dental chair and not being able to control what is going on may cause strong anxiety.
There are certain signs to look for in determining if an individual has a debilitating anxiety and may need to consider sedation dentistry.
• You are in pain but still avoid going to get treatment.
• You grow increasingly nervousness in the waiting room.
• You experience tension or have trouble sleeping before a dental exam.
• You become physically ill at the thought of attending a dental visit.
• You feel like crying when you think about going to the dentist, or when you see dental instruments.
• You begin to panic or have trouble breathing when objects are placed in your mouth during a dental exam.
For those who exhibit the aforementioned symptoms, sedation dentistry in Fort Lauderdale, FL could be helpful. As established dentists in the local area, Dr. Thomas McCawely and Dr. Mark McCawely are well versed in providing proper oral care while ensuring the comfort and care of their patients. To learn more about our offerings and to schedule your appointment, contact the office today.