It’s no secret that our bodies change as we age and your smile is no different. In your youth, you may have gotten by with only the minimum effort of brushing and flossing. Now, everything from hormonal changes to prescription-related dry mouth can impact the health of your teeth and gums. Fortunately, treatment options are more convenient than ever. Periodontists Tom and Mark McCawley offer laser therapy to address gingivitis in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Are You Aware of These Oral Health Stressors?
- Chronic illnesses, like diabetes, or even hormonal fluctuations from menopause, can take a toll on your oral health and lead to tooth decay. Gum disease can also worsen these conditions if left untreated.
- Medications can dry out the mouth, providing an ideal breeding ground for bacteria and plaque. Without saliva to continually rinse your mouth between brushings, you may be at a higher risk for periodontal disease and cavities.
- Decades of chewing, injuries, and old dental work may require some attention. A failing crown, for example, may threaten the health of the surrounding gum tissue, leaving it vulnerable to infection.
Things You Can Do to Protect Your Smile
- Be sure to schedule regular dental exams. Repair or replace any old dental work when necessary. Prevention is the best medicine.
- Your dentist can partner with your doctor to discuss your medical conditions and prescription drugs, so if you notice any changes in oral or overall health, let your dentist know, too.
- When you experience bleeding gums, schedule an appointment with your periodontist right away. Treatments for periodontal disease may include antibiotic therapy, deep cleanings, and Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®). Traditional invasive surgery is no longer your only option.
Periodontists, Drs. Tom and Mark McCawley are specialists in periodontal care. If you are concerned about gingivitis in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, visit our office for a consultation. Call now to schedule an appointment and learn more about periodontal care and minimally invasive laser gum disease treatment.