In brief, a dentist who has spent three extra years after dental school to learn how to diagnose and treat periodontal diseases and place implants can call themselves a periodontist.

To begin with students must first obtain an undergraduate degree from a college or university. They then apply for dental school and are admitted if their grades and scores are exceptional. Only about one out of ten applicants are admitted. They then spend four years in dental school and earn either D.D.S or D.M.D degree. Both degrees are identical.

Next those with an interest apply to highly competitive periodontal graduate programs. They spend an additional three years learning how to treat periodontal disease and place implants and receive a postgraduate certificate that allows them to become periodontal specialists.

Talk to US About an Appointment